Friday, January 29, 2010

Sweet Potato "Pie"

I always appreciate tips from other moms - especially in the food department. Most children can be picky at times, and go through different phases of liking things one day, and refusing them the next. So this suggestion is by no means creative, or anything new. But it might just be something different, to try with your children!
So, Grace loves sweet potatoes. However, she started getting bored with them as I normally served them plain. So, I decided to jazz things up with some Pumpkin Pie Spice, and just a sliver of butter. Suddenly it became "Pie", and she couldn't get enough!
This method takes a little prep work, but results in a super quick lunch or dinner side dish!
First, I peel the sweet potatoes.Cut them into big chunks, and stick them in my Pampered Chef Micro-Cooker (Awesome product!!!), or use a large glass bowl. Fill about half way up with water.
Cover with a steam releasing lid, or paper towel.
Microwave 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway through.
This time will vary depending on how many potatoes you use.
Cook until they can be pierced easily with a fork.Drain, and spread chunks on a baking sheet.Freeze until frozen solid.
Then keep them in a freezer safe zip-loc bag, and take out as many as you want at a time. When ready to eat, place sweet potatoes in microwavable safe bowl, and nuke for 20-30 seconds. Cut into bite sized chunks, dab with a little butter if desired,
and sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on. Voila! "Pie!" And a great source of Beta-Carotene & Vitamin A.

Don't get the wrong idea. Meal time is not always such a loving time as seen above. Just yesterday, I was at my good friend Jeane's house wiping applesauce off her floor, table legs, chairs, and my pants. Courtesy of Grace throwing her applesauce cup for the 32nd time. My gaze was not so loving towards her at that moment!!!

Burr...it's cold outside. Stay warm and cozy wherever you are!

3 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

I am just trying to catch my breath...two posts in a row from this blog is almost more than I can handle. So exciting!

I do appreciate this sweet potato idea since sweet potatoes remain one of my very favorite foods. I am going to try this knowing full well we will thoroughly enjoy it. Thank you dear friend. The last picture is so adorable!

Dale said...

Ahh! Ideas for Grandma to feed one little girl next week. Very wise, dear daughter. I have some handy and will make them for her! Thanks!

Amy Enever said...

You're a lifesaver Jen! Thanks so much for this! Will loves his fruit and everything else but getting him to eat veggies is a joke at the moment! Tried this out over the weekend and it was a HUGE success! Thanks!