Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Squiiiiiiirel!!!!

The day started out like normal. Grace & I woke up, ate our breakfast, brushed our teeth and got dressed. All was quiet in our world. Until....
A loud thrashing sound came from our fireplace, startling me practically out of my skin. I cautiously walked over to our living room telling myself it was probably just a cute little birdie stuck in the flue, and it would fly away any minute. As I peered around the corner, the loud thrashing, and scratching of metal started again. At that point, my mind jumped from itty bitty birdie to being convinced that our chimney was giving birth to a rabid wolf or a grizzly bear. I ran to call James, my knight in shining armor working an hour away. Could I ask him to make the commute home at 9 in the morning, release the wolves, and then drive back? Fat chance. However, he reassured me that the flew was SEALED and absolutely nothing could get through there. Okay, I thought. I can live with that until animal control gets here.
So I call an animal control company and they proceed to tell me that removing an animal from my fireplace could get really messy, and they really don't do that kind of work. WHAT???? And I quote their advertisement in the Yellow Pages: "24 Hour EMERGENCY Service. Trapping & Removal of Nuisance Animals, Specializing in Moles, CARCASS Disposal." My fireplace is messier than disposing a dead animal?? Thanks alot.
So, they refer me to a local "Wildlife Specialist" in the area. As I frantically am calling this new number, I'm picturing a large man in overalls and a plaid shirt with missing teeth named Cletus. You know, of the Darryl, Darryl, and Larry variety.
Cletus answers, I plead my case, he informs me that he's out of town. A crushing blow.
As I'm hem hawing on the phone, staring pleadingly at the fireplace, the mystery critter thrashes for the last time, and makes a break for it. Suddenly, world champion high jumper Mr. Squirrel falls out of the flue, jumps over the fireplace screen and into our living room. I scream repeatedly (while on the phone with wildlife dude), gather Grace up and fly upstairs, shouting 'he got out, he got out!!'
The poor man on the phone probably thought I was either being murdered and was very worried, or thought I was a complete idiot. Probably the latter.
I don't even remember getting off the phone with him. Sorry Mr. Wildlife, whoever you were.
So Grace & I make a mad dash out of the house, her in her pajamas, and me in mine, over to our neighbor's home. I drop her off, and run back to the house to face my nemesis. Back into the house I go, seeing the squirrel running all over the place trying to get out. So I open the back door & front, and just stand in the middle of our house hoping nothing touches me and that he isn't a stupid critter, and will find his way out. Thankfully, he was a smart little guy and made his way out quickly. Crisis Over!!
I made my way back over to my neighbor's house and ended up spending about an hour with her. She is going through some very heavy things right now and so it was great to sit and connect with her for a little. Later on still frustrated that I had "lost part of my morning" on a busy day, it dawned on me that God had sent that squirrel. If he wouldn't have paid us a visit that morning, I would not have been able to connect with my neighbor and listen to her heavy heart.
Thank you Lord for sending the diversions
I need, to slow me down, and put me in the places I need to be.

Hope you were mildy amused by my bizarre story, and are enjoying a critter free day wherever you may be!

6 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard picturing all of this.

What a wonderful thing that you were able to connect with your neighbor.

love you!

Jeane` said...

Curt probably thought I was weezing to death out here (yet he made nary a move to inquire as to the reason for my rapid weazing noises).

THAT.WAS.HYSTERICAL.

Yet completely inspirational.

Ahh...and tomorrow morning I get to hear all about it in person! What a lucky gal am I!!!!

Thank you for bring MUCH laughter to my evening. This writing is totally YOU. You ARE the next Erma Bomback. And I've always known it...the world has yet to find out!

Dale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dale said...

Oh my! Now you can truly relate to Clark Griswold...only your ending is so much better. Jeane is right. You ARE the next Erma Bombeck! Print and keep a copy for your book called, "Mothering Mayhem".

Just a little something from Judy said...

I was laughing so hard through this entire post! You are a writer and comedian all in one beautiful package! The same thing happened to me when we lived at our last house although he was in the basement family room for quite a while until I discovered him. In that time he did quite a bit of destruction...major destruction. To this day I really dislike squirrels. Great post and a theraputic laugh for my day. Thank you!

Landis said...

HAHA! "Dad! Don't move!" Jen, you're like snow white. Only you would have a squirrel come visit you. :) Awesome story, more awesome that the Lord used you a squirrel and humor to tend to someone that is hurting. love it!