Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Best Sandwich Ever...

Okay, I'm sure, in fact, I know, I've said this about many sandwiches I have bitten into in my lifetime...but this is my new favorite. I got this recipe from "The Pioneer Woman". I am very into her website right now - such delicious recipes. www.thepioneerwoman.com Check it out!

She calls her husband "The Marlboro Man" (they live on a ranch, and I guess he's a cowboy of sorts). So this sandwich is called "The Marlboro Man Sandwich". I call it, darn good. This is a great weeknight meal, as it comes together very quickly!
Ingredients: (I cut the recipe below in half and it made 4 sandwiches, which was the perfect amount for us).
  • 1 whole large onion (or two small), sliced
  • 2 sticks butter (I used margarine)
  • 2lbs Cube Steak (tenderized round steak that's been extra tenderized)
  • Seasoned Salt
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • Tabasco Sauce, to taste (I left this out and just did one shake of Cayenne pepper)
  • French/Deli Rolls

First, slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft & light brown.

This takes 7-10 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Slice cube steak against the grain into strips. Sprinkle with seasoned salt.

Next, heat 2 T butter over hight heat, in same skillet, until melted and beginning to brown. Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.

Add 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce, tobasco or cayenne, and 2 T butter. These simple ingredients make a delcious sauce. Add cooked onions, stir to combine.

Butter halved french rolls, and brown in skillet on high heat. Flip and toast other side quickly. This little detail of toasting the bread, takes the sandwich over the edge in my opinion!

To assemble, lay bottom half of french roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoonful of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, cut in half.

In my dinner fury, I completly forgot to take a picture of the finished product. I was just so excited to eat it. :-) So I am using one of the Pioneer Woman's pictures!!!


I served this with a green salad and some fruit...to offset all the butter used in this recipe!! It was a hit in our house. My husband gave two thumbs up for this "Cowboy" sandwich!

6 comments:

Landis said...

This looks so good! I know what I'm making for dinner! Thanks for sharing.

sarah said...

I love PW's recipes ... they are delicious!
Hope all is well with you guys ... we'll miss seeing you at the MV get together!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I live with a "cowboy" who is always thrilled when I come up with a new "over the top" sandwich. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am really enjoying the PW cookbook too. Of course...we like a lot of the same things.

Merry Christmas dear friend!

Julie said...

do you stick a Marlboro in the bun to hold it together? heh heh...looks yummy! did you knick your finger? noticed a band aid in the one picture.

James said...

Yeah, I noticed the band-aid after I posted. Gross! Not exactly a picture that whets your appetite. haha. I just had a little hangnail and didn't want to get anything in it. Jen

Dale said...

Ok...I've made these twice in a week's time. So yummy!