Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hearty Mushroom Barley Soup

This is a hearty & delicious soup that makes a
perfect lunch or light summer dinner
paired with a sandwich or salad. It's very heart healthy too!

The recipe is from the cookbook
"Quick Fixes from Brand Name Mixes".
Hearty Mushroom Barley Soup - 4 (1 1/2 cup) Servings
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped onions (I use frozen sometimes if I don't feel like chopping & crying)
  • 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth (I prefer beef stock for this recipe, gives it more depth of flavor. I just combine 4 tsp of Better than Bouillon to 4 cups boiling water).
  • 1 can fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 8 to 12 oz sliced mushrooms (give them a rough chop)
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley, uncooked*
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (optional)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil and tilt pan to coat bottom of pan. Add yellow onions; cook 8 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden. Add carrots and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, barley, Worcestershire sauce & thyme; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green onions, salt and pepper if desired.

*If using regular barley, the soup will need to simmer for 1 hour to completely cook the barley & thicken the soup.

I served this the other night with BLT's. Yum!

3 comments:

Julie said...

mmm that soup does look good. got any leftovers?

Just a little something from Judy said...

What time is dinner? You...are an inspiration to me, my friend. I love this idea and I am going to copy this recipe. Thank you for sharing. I am so proud of you and your many accomplishments!!

Alison said...

I'm going to have to try that!