This recipe was born out of not being able to go to the grocery store one day, and trying to make dinner that evening with what I had on hand - which wasn't much! Good ole' quesadillas or grilled cheese always seems to be the stand in on days like that! Thought I'd share my version of this common dish...
First, in a bowl, I combined 1 can of black beans (drained & rinsed), 1/2 of a red onion (diced), 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 1 cooked & cubed chicken breast, & 1/2 packet chili seasoning. You can add all kinds of things to this mixture to suit your taste (peppers, corn, tomatoes, etc.).

Then I took a flour tortilla and placed it in a hot skillet sprayed with non-stick spray. I then filled one half of the tortilla with about a 1/3 cup of the mixture, and folded the other half of the tortilla over top. I proceeded to do this with the next tortilla, working on the other half of the skillet. I learned this method on America's Test Kitchen. It's much easier to flip the quesadillas this way!

Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas that are facing up, so they do not stick when you flip them. Flip after a few minutes. The other side should be golden brown and the cheese should be starting to melt. After 2-3 minutes, remove quesadillas with a spatula to a plate and let sit for 1-2 minutes before cutting into quarters. Serve with salsa & sour cream - and you've got a quick & healthy meal or snack! 

This recipe makes about 4-5 tortillas (16-20 quesadillas).
**If you have leftover mixture, it freezes very well!**
**If you have leftover mixture, it freezes very well!**



4 comments:
The guy living at this house with me, would love this recipe. I am going to make it and you will get the credit dear friend. Thanks!
i want some.
YUM!!!!
And to think I had the thought of making just plain old quesedilla's for a side on Friday...I'm going to have to kick it up several notches after reading this scrumptious post!!!
PS. Mom's right. Her pool boy, Jose, would feel like he stepped right back into his native country eating a meal like that!!! ;)
Hey Jen
This is April LaGarde btw, for some strange reason when ever I try to leave a comment on any blogspot blog I come up as Young Marrieds (weird and annoying I know)
I saw this post earlier today and couldn't stop thinking about it and craving it so guess what we had for dinner??? YUP, Your delicious Quesadillas!!!
I didn't have any black beans but use left over chili with the chili beans and it was YUMMY!!! Both Chris and I loved it... It was fast, easy, it used up some of my leftovers and it was healthy :) all of the things I think make a great meal!!!
Thank you! You should do more posts like this I know you have TONS of yummy recipes you could share :)
THANKS!!! We should get together sometime soon, I miss you!!!
love ya
April
Post a Comment