Friday, August 21, 2009

Waldorf Sandwich

My sister Janelle and I had this amazing sandwich at a little cafe up in Newport, PA. We both LOVED it! I tried to imitate it, and it came out pretty well! I thought it was such a unique pairing of flavors for a sandwich. Hope you enjoy!
~The Waldorf~
Layer these ingredients on hearty toasted bread:
Oven Roasted Turkey (I used honey ham), Fresh Mozzerella, thinly sliced apple, lettuce, mayo, and top with Maple Glazed Walnuts.
Maple Glazed Walnuts:
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 T butter
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup walnuts
In a saucepan, mix syrup, cinnamon, butter & salt. Stir over medium heat until brown and thickened. Add vanilla, then nuts, and toss to coat. Cool on wax paper. **These are great over ice cream, salads, & tossed with mashed sweet potatoes!

Thanks to the Espresso Yourself Cafe for the inspiration!